High Fat Foods that are Good for You.
For years fat was considered a no no in the dietary world. People switched to low fat and fat free products, boycotting the yolk of the egg while drinking skimmed milk. But when we look closer fat isn’t our enemy.
Fat is an essential part of our diet. It helps with our brain functioning, metabolism, our immune system and helps to stabilize blood sugars.
It is important to know which fats are the good fats. Knowing the difference is the key to a good diet.
What are the main types of fat?
There are three main types of fat.
- Unsaturated Fats: these are the good kinds of fats, they lower your bad cholesterol (LDL) and raise your good cholesterol (HDL).
- Saturated Fats: these can also be good for you but should be eaten in moderation.
- Trans Fats: these are also known as hydrogenated fats and should be avoided as much as possible.
Your Good Fat List
- Avocado: higher in potassium than bananas, loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats, high in fiber and they can decrease your bad cholesterol and increase the good.
- Fatty Fish: including salmon, sardines and mackerel, fatty fish are rich in omegas 3’s which many people are deficient in.
- Nuts: such as walnuts, almonds, and macadamia,they help to control blood sugar and are also a good source of protein and fiber. They are high in vitamin E and magnesium, a mineral that many lack.
- Seeds: chia, flax, hemp and pumpkin have anti inflammatory properties as well as being high in protein, fiber, vitamins and omegas.
- Olive Oil: studies have shown that it can actually increase your risk of heart disease. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and benefits insulin levels.
- Eggs: they have an exceptionally bad reputation for being high in cholesterol.However studies have shown in most people that the cholesterol in eggs does not effect that in the blood.They are loaded with vitamins and minerals and high in omega 3’s. Just don’t throw away the yolk as that is where most of the nutrients are found.
Bye for now,